Five apply for TPS interim superintendentWritten by Staff Reports | | firstname.lastname@example.org
Five candidates have applied for the interim superintendent position to replace Dr. Jerome Pecko at Toledo Public Schools (TPS). Applications were filed by one internal candidate and four external candidates.
The list of candidates are as follows:
- Dr. Romules Durant, Toledo Public Schools assistant superintendent of the Bowsher, Scott, and Waite learning communities
- Douglas Heuer, of University Heights, Ohio; Superintendent of Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District
- Deborah A. Piotrowski, of Xenia, Ohio; Superintendent of Xenia Community Schools
- Catherine Smith, of Toledo
- Dr. Michael Zalar, of Oregon; Superintendent of the Oregon City School District
In a letter to the board, Pecko said he would not accept a contract extension after his current contract expires July 31. He became the 29th superintendent for TPS in August of 2010.
The TPS Board of Education met in February to discuss its many options. At the time, the search was to focus on internal candidates.
Board president Brenda Hill said Friday she wants a good person for the job.
“I want a person who is dynamic, a person who has ideas, a person who is a good manager of people and if it’s a person from within, fine,” she said. “If it’s a person that’s not from within, fine.”
“It would be nice if we had someone from within because they are already familiar with the school system, the community is familiar with them, but we’ll see,” she said. “We don’t know yet. We’ll see.”