Red Cross to give away free smoke, carbon monoxide detectorsWritten by Emily Gibb | | email@example.com
The American Red Cross will provide free carbon monoxide and smoke detectors from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 18 in the American Red Cross parking lot, 3100 W. Central Ave.
Each household is eligible to receive one smoke detector and one carbon monoxide detector after filling out a simple release form. Supplies will be given out on a first come, first serve basis, Sheri Meeker, spokeswoman for the American Red Cross, said.
Sponsors for the detector giveaway event include Columbia Gas, The Anderson’s, HCR Manor Care, 13ABC-WTVG, the Toledo Fire Department, Cumulus Broadcasting, SMB Construction and Toledo Free Press.
The giveaway comes in light of Tamara McDaniel and her three children, who died from carbon monoxide given off by a generator in their home last month, Meeker said.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 200 people in the United States die every year from carbon monoxide produced by fuel-burning appliances, such as furnaces, water heaters and room heaters and from burning charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle or tent. Several thousand people visit hospital emergency rooms each year for carbon monoxide poisoning treatment.
The American Red Cross offers tips for preventing Carbon Monoxide poisoning:
- Make sure appliances are installed according to manufacturer’s instructions and local building codes. Most appliances should be installed by professionals. A carbon monoxide alarm/detector can provide added protection, but is no substitute for proper use and upkeep of appliances that can produce carbon monoxide.
- Do not sure a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning device in your home, basement or garage. Locate the unit away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to travel indoors.
- Have the heating system, including chimneys and vents, inspected and serviced annually. The inspector should also check chimneys and flues for blockages, corrosion, partial and complete disconnections and loose connections.
- Do not use gas appliances, such as ranges, ovens or clothes dryers, for heating your home.
For more information on staying prepared and safe, visit www.redcross.org.