The Gold Knight: 2013 Oscars movie checklistWritten by James A. Molnar | The Gold Knight | email@example.com
The 85th Academy Awards show is less than a month away, airing locally on 13abc on Feb. 24. There are 38 feature-length films, along with 15 short films, nominated for Oscars. Seeing all of the movies can be quite a task so here is a checklist of the movies to see before the big night and how to see them:
Best Picture nominees
Many of the films nominated are still in theaters or will be out soon on DVD/Blu-ray. For those wishing to see the films in theaters, AMC Theatres is offering its Best Picture Showcase, a marathon movie event where Oscar fans can watch all the Best Picture nominees. The nine movies will be split up into two Saturdays (Feb. 16 and Feb. 23). Participating theaters include Forum 30 and Livonia 20 in the Detroit area.
- “Amour” (5 total nominations): Not yet in theaters near Toledo. Opening Feb. 1 at the Maple Theater in Bloomfield, Mich. and at Cedar Lee in Cleveland.
- “Argo” (7): Playing in Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Livonia, Mich. On DVD/Blu-ray Feb. 19.
- “Beasts of the Southern Wild” (4): On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “Django Unchained” (5): In theaters.
- “Les Misérables” (8): In theaters.
- “Life of Pi” (11): No longer in theaters near Toledo.
- “Lincoln” (12): In theaters.
- “Silver Linings Playbook” (8): In theaters.
- “Zero Dark Thirty” (5): In theaters.
- “Anna Karenina” (4): On DVD/Blu-ray Feb. 19.
- “Chasing Ice” (1, Original Song): Not yet in theaters near Toledo.
- “Flight” (2): Maumee Indoor Theatre until Feb. 1. Out on DVD/Blu-ray Feb. 5.
- “Hitchcock” (1, Makeup and Hairstyling): No longer in theaters near Toledo.
- “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” (3): In theaters.
- “The Impossible” (1, Naomi Watts for Actress): Rave Franklin Park and Michigan theaters.
- “Marvel’s The Avengers” (1, Visual Effects): On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “The Master” (3): On DVD/Blu-ray Feb. 26.
- “Mirror Mirror” (1, Costume Design): On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “Moonrise Kingdom” (1, Original Screenplay): On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “Prometheus” (1, Visual Effects): On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “The Sessions” (1, Helen Hunt for Supporting Actress): On DVD/Blu-ray Feb. 12.
- “Skyfall” (5): Rave Fallen Timbers and some Michigan theaters. On DVD/Blu-ray Feb. 12.
- “Snow White and the Huntsman” (2): On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “Ted” (1, Original Song): On DVD/Blu-ray.
Animated Feature films
Most are available now to rent or buy.
- “Brave”: On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “Frankenweenie”: On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “ParaNorman”: On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “The Pirates! Band of Misfits”: On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “Wreck-It Ralph”: In select Michigan theaters. On iTunes Feb. 12. On DVD/Blu-ray March 5.
Documentary Feature films
Three are available now to rent or buy.
- “5 Broken Cameras”: On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “The Gatekeepers”: Opening in select theaters Feb. 1.
- “How to Survive a Plague”: On DVD/Blu-ray Feb. 26.
- “The Invisible War”: On DVD/Blu-ray.
- “Searching for Sugar Man”: On DVD/Blu-ray.
Foreign Language films
The nominees in the Foreign Language category can be very tricky to find, sometimes taking up to a year to get to the U.S. “Amour,” with its Best Picture nomination, may be the easiest of the five to see, but there are no immediate plans for the movie to open in Toledo.
- “Amour” (Austria): See Best Picture description above.
- “War Witch” (Canada): Opening in select theaters March 1.
- “No” (Chile): Opening in select theaters Feb. 15.
- “A Royal Affair” (Denmark): On DVD/Blu-ray March 16.
- “Kon-Tiki” (Norway): No release date set.
Select theaters around the country, including Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor and Detroit Film Theatre at the Detroit Institute of Art, will be showing the Oscar-nominated short films. These films are screened at least five films at a time, which provides a great opportunity to see all of the movies together. Find viewings at theoscarshorts.shorts.tv.
Best Documentary — Short Subject
- “Kings Point”
- “Mondays at Racine”
- “Open Heart”
Best Short Film — Animated
- “Adam and Dog”
- “Fresh Guacamole”
- “Head over Heels”
- “Maggie Simpson in ‘The Longest Daycare’”
Best Short Film — Live Action
- “Buzkashi Boys”
- “Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw)”
The 85th Academy Awards are Feb. 24, and will be televised live locally on 13abc.
For a printable movies checklist, go here.
Toledo Free Press Star Lead Designer and Film Editor James A. Molnar blogs about all things Oscar at TheGoldKnight.com. Watch him discuss movies on “WNWO Today” around 5:50 a.m. on Fridays. Also, listen to James discuss movies on “Eye on Your Weekend” on 1370 WSPD every Friday at 6 p.m.
Tags: Academy Awards, AMPAS, animated feature, animated short, Best Picture, checklist, Documentary Feature, Film, foreign language, James A. Molnar, live action short, Movies, oscar shorts, Oscars, The Gold Knight, The Oscars