Cornett: Gay Pride Month events celebrate diversity of LGBT communitiesWritten by Rick Cornett | | CountryConnection@toledofreepress.com
Ever since the Stonewall Riots in June 1969, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities have come out, united and celebrated the unique diversity we share.
The first Gay Pride events took place in June 1970 to mark the first anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. Since then, June has been designated as Gay Pride Month around the world with celebrations throughout the month of June and into late summer.
The 4th Annual Toledo Gay Pride Parade & Festival takes place in August, allowing us to establish our growing event without competing with other events throughout the state during June.
Here is a rundown of pride festivals, parades and picnics, along with a rodeo, booze cruise and amusement park traditions. For full details on these events please visit their websites. Happy Pride Month and may you all enjoy these events with much dignity, self-worth and pride.
- Dayton and Miami Valley Pride Celebrations: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. June 1, Cooper Park, Dayton. www.daytonlgbtcenter.org.
- Third Annual Ferndale Pride: noon June 1, Downtown Ferndale, Mich.www.ferndalepride.com.
- Findlay Pride Picnic: noon to 3 p.m. June 8, Riverside Park, Findlay.
- “Take The Flame”; “Gay Games: Grace Grit & Glory”: A free showing of the Gay Games 9 documentary. 7 p.m. June 8, Collingwood Arts Center, Toledo. (419) 244-2787 sponsored by the newly formed Toledo Area Rainbow Coalition and Sky Light Financial Group.
- Motor City Pride: June 8 and 9, Hart Plaza, Detroit. www.motorcitypride.org.
- 5th Annual Youngstown Pride Parade & Festival: noon to 9 p.m. June 7 and 8, One Central Square Federal Plaza. www.prideyoungstown.org.
- Third Annual North Coast Pride Picnic: 1-5 p.m. June 9, Lion’s Park, Sandusky. www.sanduskypride.org.
- 40th Annual Cincinnati Pride Week: June 19-26, Cincinnati. www.cincinnatipride.org.
- Gay Day at Cedar Point: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. June 16, Cedar Point Amusement Park, Sandusky. www.cedarpoint.com.
- 25th Annual Cleveland Pride Festival: 12-8 p.m. June 29, Voinovich Park, Cleveland. www.clevelandpride.org.
- North Coast Pride Cruise: 6 p.m. July 13, Goodtime Cruise Boat, Jackson St. Pier, Sandusky. www.sanduskypride.org.
- 34th Annual METRA Pride Picnic: July 14, Salt River Park, Madison Heights, Mich.
- Great Lakes Regional Rodeo presented by MIGRA: July 26-28, Wayne County Fairgrounds, Belleville, Mich. www.michiganrodeo.org.
- 4th Annual Toledo Pride Parade & Festival: Aug. 23-25, Promenade Park. www.toledopride.com.
- Kings Island Pride Night: Sept. 6, Kings Island Amusement Park, Cincinnati. www.cincinnatipride.org.