Branding Toledo at the casinoWritten by Michael Miller | Editor in Chief Emeritus | email@example.com
The Hollywood Casino Toledo is magnificent. The décor, technology and customer service efforts rival anything in Lucas County.
One of the impressive elements of the casino is how carefully branded the word “Toledo” is. It’s on the gaming tables, the cards, the card-shuffling machines and on most every surface. There are some local institutions that drop “Toledo” from their names but the casino embraces its host city.
One of the many electronic screens has an homage to Jamie Farr and his “M*A*S*H” legacy. In the private room of the Final Cut steakhouse (which features a spectacular glass-wall view of the river and trees), a Katie Holmes dress is displayed alongside outfits worn by Halle Berry, Elvis, Tony Curtis and Ann-Margret.
Toledo is shown respect in the casino and patrons will always know exactly which city they are visiting.
But there is another way the Hollywood Casino Toledo could honor the Glass City — by offering Toledo-themed games among its 2,000 slot machines. It’s cool to have such movie-themed choices as “The Hangover,” “Sex and the City” and the Toledo exclusive “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” games, but here are some suggestions for more specific Toledo-themed slots.
- Mayors of Toledo: Each pull of the handle brings up three windows with rotating images of Toledo mayors past and present. Three Mayor Mike Bells or Donna Owenses or Charles M. Dorrs and you’re a winner! If the windows show three Carty Finkbeiners, a casino attendant walks up to you, takes your remaining money and roughs you up a bit.
- City Council Word Scramble: The images of Toledo City Council members scroll by, while an audio quote from a recent meeting plays through the slot machine speakers. Match the face of the councilperson with the quote that is playing without breaking into laughter or tears and you win a free play on …
- Wheel of Suburbs: Grab that handle and watch the images of suburbs spin by. Match up Sylvania or Perrysburg and win. Hit three Ottawa Hills images and the jackpot pays double.
- Education Crapshoot: Place yer bet on your child’s future and let the wheels spin. Hit matching private schools and graduate to the “College Roulette” machine. Hit three Toledo Public Schools images and your outcome could be anything from “dishwasher” or “newspaper columnist” on the low end to “CEO” or “software engineer” on the high end. Charter schools are wild cards.
- Gay in the Glass City: You never know what you’re going to get in this game. On one spin, you could win domestic partner benefits. On the next spin, one of your icons may be mocked as a crossdresser. Spin again and see great community support for Pride Day. Spin once more and see your state ban gay marriage. The drama!
- Red Cross vs. Food and Commercial Workers union: Draw matching images of bags of donated blood to win. Odds of winning are low, as images of strike signs tend to interrupt the blood supply.
- Development Wild Cards: Insert dollars and make an investment in Toledo. Potential winnings include abandoned movie theaters, closed shopping malls and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of undeveloped waterfront property. Increase your chances of winning by inserting yen.
- Roll the Dice on County Reorganization: Take your tax dollars and play this slot machine, based on the proposal to reorganize county government under a county executive. Will the county win by consolidating power? Or will reducing the number of elected officials be a bust?
- Page One: Pull the lever to see which story will dominate the news. Are there dogs in trouble? Is there a courthouse in jeopardy? Match three subscription cancellation notices and the slot machine spits out a pile of rare, collectible coins paid for with state funds.
Michael S. Miller is editor in chief of Toledo Free Press and Toledo Free Press Star. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.