Jules Webster offers classes at ClaySpaceWritten by Sarah Ottney | Editor in Chief | email@example.com
Nothing beats getting out of the daily humdrum once a week to learn something new in a vibrant, creative space, believes local artist Jules Webster of Shine Ceramics.
Webster, Space 237’s resident artist and ceramics instructor, has released her new schedule of winter clay classes at the gallery’s ClaySpace, 237 N. Michigan Ave., in Downtown Toledo.
Two new classes are among the offerings, a beginning wheel-throwing class for kids and a hand-building functional tableware class for adults.
“I do a lot of tableware in my own work personally,” Webster said. “A lot of people just think of the wheel when they think of ceramics, and maybe have tried it in the past and weren’t good at it so have given it up, but really there are an unlimited number of ways to make ceramics and pottery.”
Webster, who contributes a column to Toledo Free Press Star, said kids like her classes because she gives them instruction but doesn’t force them into specific projects, letting them come up with their own creative solutions, while adults sometimes come in nervous but end up thrilled with their finished products.
“Because classes are relatively short, it’s not that hard to integrate it into one’s schedule, but you get a lot out of the time that goes into it,” Webster said.
Classes are as follows:
- Beginning Throwing for Adults (day class): Four sessions, $95, Tuesdays, Jan. 11, 18, 25, and Feb. 1, Noon-1:30 p.m.
- Beginning Throwing for Adults (evening class): Four sessions, $95, Thursdays, Jan. 13, 20, 27, and Feb. 3, 7:30-9 p.m.
- Beginning Throwing for Teens (evening class): Four sessions, $90, Thursdays, Jan. 13, 20, 27, and Feb. 3, 5:30-7 p.m.
- Beginning Throwing for Kids, Age 8-13 (Saturday class): Four sessions, $90, Saturdays, Jan. 15, 22, 29 and Feb. 5, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m
- In these sessions, participants will learn wheel-throwing basics through a demonstration by the instructor followed by guided hands-on wheel time. The fee includes 20 pounds of stoneware clay. An optional one-hour glazing workshop will be offered at the end of each four-week session for $15. See www.space237.com for dates and times.
- Beginning Sculpture for Kids, Age 5-11 (Saturday class): Three sessions, $75, Saturdays, Jan. 15, 22, 29, 1-2:30 p.m. This class will explore sculpting and building techniques. Class size will be limited to six participants.
- Hand-building Functional Tableware for Adults (day class): Four sessions, includes glazing, $95, Thursdays, Jan 13, 20, 27, and Feb. 3. Noon-1:30 p.m. In this class, participants will learn the basics of working with slabs of clay to create beautiful and functional tableware. Pieces will be glazed during the last session using lead-free and food-safe glazes.
- Create Your Own Class: If a class is full, doesn’t work in your schedule or you don’t see what you are interested in, Webster also offers the option to create your own class.
To register for a class, contact Webster at