Letters to the Editor Dec. 28, 2008Written by Administrator | | firstname.lastname@example.org
Take him back, please
It never ceases to amaze me Toledoan’s “feelings” for the current mayor. Do these people read? Do they think? I have talked to dozens of people about this mayor and the majority of responses are, “Oh, he loves Toledo so much” or “He is Toledo’s biggest cheerleader” or something as nonsensical as those sentiments.
A recent opinion referred to him as an “enthusiastic cheerleader.” These are qualifications for a mayor of a major city?
I grew up in Toledo and over 22 years ago moved to Sylvania. I own and operate a business in Toledo. I own and manage rental property in Toledo. No, I can’t vote in Toledo, but I do pay Toledo income taxes. How anyone could possibly find any redeeming qualities in the current mayor? I would love to know what they are. Save the cheerleader stuff. I operate a business and I know how tough it is. I believe that is nothing compared to running a city the size of Toledo. But this man? Come on. We can do better. This is embarrassing.
I have the highest regards for the leaders of the Take Back Toledo effort and they have my profound respect and admiration. These people care. These people understand. Vendetta? Could caring be a part of a vendetta? Could putting your name and reputation on the line be part of a vendetta? Could you imagine the amount of work and planning and meetings to attempt an effort that they are planning? I wish them all the success with their efforts. I applaud their efforts. It is way past due. Enough is enough.
BOB COWAN, Sylvania
Largeness and inefficiency
The opinion shared by many is the “entitlements” that autoworkers and Americans enjoy. Where do these ideas come from? I have worked in the auto business for years and can say we are living with excess abundance in many ways. Looking at my little area where I work, I can see excess resources and building space wasted because we do not require sound money management business practices that would get rid of excesses.
Rather than capitalize on effiencies of practices, we duplicate many resources for like equipment. Granite inspection plates, Coordinate measuring machines, workstations and benches for individual employees are often duplicated. The office space housing this business equipment could vastly be reduced if only we would think of reducing our “footprint” on the economy.
The inability to manage the effective use of plant and equipment has caused many a business to maintain a heavy capital investment. Management offices are another area where excesses occur. Through downsizing of people and work, we are left with overcapacity of equipment and floor space that no longer prove sufficient and adequate for our needs. Just figuring in the costs associated for heating and cooling this excess capacity requires us to think of new ways to construct our business so utilizing the ever-changing requirements of a viable business model.
Our mentality needs to change! Simply designing the effective factory floor would lessen our desire for filling in all the overcapacity with useless nothingness that we heat and maintain bringing in no extra value to the business. The idea most readily accepted by public perception is that we should take away from labor the costs necessary for running a business. These savings predict that a business would become competitive and compete with the forces of a global environment. I would disagree in that labor only represents 10 percent of the cost associated with business and would do nothing to correct the other 90 percent which needs to change if we are truly going to be competitive.
Today’s plants for manufacturing need to follow a plan that allows mobility and reconstructing of current resources and the ability to transform those resources at a time of change when new processes or practices are accepted. Eliminating duplication and unfriendly distribution of capital to maintain status quo business practices cause people’s mentality to fill in these excess capacity without accounting for the cost of maintaining them. Until we change our thinking, we will continuously go after the wrong things that do little to make a business more competitive in the long term.
If we truly wish to compete in the world economy, we must stop holding on to expensive board rooms and individual offices for managers and labor both if we are ever going to lean our business practices. The costs inherent in maintaining these things warrant a new mindset for their elimination. Our interior walls must be flexible to be moved at a moment’s notice. Resizing the business on the fly requires that everything be bolted down with the possibility to be reconstructed later when our needs change. Manufacturing is king when we utilize all of our resources to their fullest potential and reinvent ourselves along the way! Only then will we reach that competitive landscape again.
JOHN M KRAWETZKE, Toledo